The Mission & Philosophy Statement of the Diocese of Greensburg Catholic Schools
The mission of Catholic schools within the Diocese of Greensburg is to create a Catholic Christian learning environment to prepare students for their life’s journey. While parents are the first teachers, the task of our schools is to assist parents in fulfilling their responsibility as primary educators of their children. Schools challenge students to develop the Gospel values, academic mastery, spirit of community service and global perspective that will give their lives passion and purpose.
- Catholic schools have an impact on the moral consciousness of our society.
- All children can learn.
- Gospel values provide opportunities for students to live and proclaim the teachings of Jesus and the Church.
- Each individual has worth and deserves respect and dignity.
- Successful learning builds self-esteem.
- Education is to be shared by the school, the home, the student, the parish, and the community.
- Learning is most effective in a safe, caring environment.
- The teacher/administrator is a professional decision maker who facilitates children’s learning while continually learning him/herself.
- Change creates the need for life-long learning.
- High expectations directly affect performance.
- Excellence in education is worth the commitment of time, effort, and money through a shared responsibility of parent and parish.
- An educated citizenry ensures a strong foundation for a democratic society.
- The Catholic school system is an important key to the development of a parish community.
Our Mission Statement
To prepare the children in our care to live as Christian leaders today, and in the world tomorrow by providing them with a Catholic education emphasizing spiritual development, strong values and academic excellence.
- A deep commitment to Gospel values should affect every area of our lives.
- One should always choose what is fair and just in relationships and decision-making.
- We should strive towards justice for all people locally, nationally and globally.
- As Christ loves us all unconditionally, we should learn to love one another in the same way.
Academic Vision Statement for St. Bernard School
As the faculty of St. Bernard Regional Catholic School, we believe that a quality Catholic education provides students with the intellectual and spiritual foundation needed to become lifelong learners and Christian leaders. It is by following Christ’s example, and striving to provide excellent instruction, that we will provide the best possible education for the students of St. Bernard Regional Catholic School.
We will do this by providing Christ-centered learning opportunities which motivate all students to achieve their greatest possible levels of success. We are committed to providing instruction which:
- Engages students in active learning, allowing them to discover their unique gifts
- Develops higher order thinking on intellectual, moral, and spiritual levels
- Instills confidence and fosters self-esteem
- Promotes enthusiasm and a love of learning
- Empowers students to live morally and ethically
- Inspires creativity and divergent thinking
- Celebrates the diversity of the human community
The mission of Catholic education is universal and dedicated to improving the lives of all children. St. Bernard School is committed to serving children of all creeds, nationalities, and economic circumstances in Indiana County and the surrounding areas.
A highly-qualified teaching staff is an essential component of our mission. We are therefore committed to recruiting and maintaining a staff which is:
- Highly trained, skilled and knowledgeable in their individual disciplines.
- Enthusiastic about their mission and dedicated to its fulfillment.
- A model of Catholic values.
- Constantly growing professionally and personally.
- Providing individual attention to students’ academic needs.
Committed to serving students, parents, and employees by:
- Providing leadership on an operational, academic and professional level.
- Responding to student, teacher, staff and parental concerns in a timely and sensitive manner.
- Maintaining a school environment that is safe, peaceful and conducive to learning.
- Finding adequate resources to maintain and expand our academic program.
Our Parents and Guardians
Working together as the stewards of our school by:
- Participating in meaningful ways with the administration and faculty to chart the direction of the school.
- Helping one another through development efforts that benefit all of our children.
- Welcoming new families and assisting those in need.
We are proud of our 90 year history and reputation for academic excellence and spiritual growth. By careful governance and continual improvement, St. Bernard Regional School will continue its traditions, not only for today, but also for tomorrow.